Sunday, February 11, 2024

Films I watched in 2023 - Part 2

Continuing the series of short reviews of films from 2023 started here.

Nobody (2021)

Not much for me to say other than it living somewhere in the simplex between Taken, John Wick, and parody.

The Stepford Wives (2004, 1975)

I wish I had not watched the 2004 remake before the 1975 original. Lacking in any force, hateful of it protagonists, too afraid to make any real statement or let any horror linger.

The original, meanwhile, was subtle, focused, and horrific. Highly recommended.

Blade (1998)

A fun little action flick. Like with John Wick, I probably would have enjoyed it more when I was younger, and had I watched it in the cinema. A lot of tropes seen in later vampire media.

Network (1976)

Weird. Surreal. Absurd. Brilliant. A classic even though the kind of absurd, cynical, exploitative television it presaged has become standard.

Event Horizon (1997)

An effective mix of Solaris and Hellraiser.

Barbarian (2022)

Tried to be several horror movies at once, and managed it well.

The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996)

A fun thriller. Lets us follow the path of two different protagonists at the same time.

Life After Beth (2014)

A very Jewish-American zombie film, which makes it both close and far for me.

The Lodger: A Story of the London Fog (1927)

People definitely had faces! First silent film I've watched in many years. Unpolished in some ways, but definitely pulls you in as you wonder, with the characters, who really is the ripper?

Lady Snowblood (1973)

Dark, slow-paced and contemplative. Watched this with ads, which were quite jarring.

No comments:

Post a Comment